You’ve probably seen home renovation shows or opened one of the magazines at the Home Depot checkout and thought “who would choose to live in that?” Or, once in a while, you may have hit upon the perfect kitchen or living room, one that fits you like a glove. Your ideal home is an extension of your personality: you want to feel relaxed as soon as you walk in the door, comforted by the sights, sounds, and even smells that your house has to offer.
Many little details go into turning a building into a space that represents you and your family. Alberta home renovation services can get you to the space you want, whether it’s an open concept kitchen with a French door leading out to a large deck, or a spacious ensuite bathroom with a jacuzzi tub. When it comes to the little touches that make this space yours, that’s all up to you.
Home décor can be intimidating. Trends are always changing: did you know that brushed metal is out this year? Or that bright green is in? Fashion comes and goes, so the best thing you can do for your family is to decorate based on your tastes rather than current trends. If bright orange makes you feel relaxed and at home, then use it!
Decorating A Bookshelf
Bookshelves don’t just need to hold books: they can also give you a way to display your favourite picture frames, or vases, and even a spot to put your plants out of reach of little hands (or paws!). A shelf that has too many items on display can make a room feel confining. Simplifying it with less clutter can help a room feel larger and more open.
- A bookshelf doesn’t has to have books, but if you’re going to include them pay some attention to their aesthetics. Instead of loading them onto the shelves as if they were in a library, turn some so that their covers are facing outwards: some books are designed so beautifully that they deserve to be on display, or perhaps there’s a novel that has a special place in your heart.
- Follow the height of the shelves and add in a few tall accent pieces such as vases, plants or tall candles. Layering is also an excellent way to add some height where you need to. You can lay 2-3 books horizontally, and place a favourite decorative item on top.
- Bring some life to your shelves by bringing in some greenery. Keep it simple with one or two small plants. If you don’t have much of a green thumb, bring in some plastic plants. Your secret will be safe with us!
- If you need some additional storage space, place decorative boxes or bins on the bottom shelf. Using the bottom shelf for these large items will help add some visual (and physical) weight to anchor your bookcase without taking away from the overall opening effect of the higher shelves.
- Bring some personality into your shelving unit by displaying a few family photographs or unusual items. Do you have an oddly shaped sculpture or decorative item and you can’t figure out where to put it? Try displaying it on your shelf!
Master The Mantel
Having a fireplace is a way to bring luxury into your home. There are a variety of fireplace styles that will work with your needs and desires. Home builders in Alberta will work with you to build the ideal fireplace for you. Once you have that set, you may have an empty mantel to decorate. Ideally, the fireplace will become the focal point of the room- something you’ll want to keep in mind when adding your décor.
- Your largest piece should be centred above the mantel. Any large decorative piece will do, whether you want a mirror or a masterpiece by your favourite artist. You can also use a large clock, or even your t.v if that’s a logical spot to put it.
- Create some visual movement by using items of various heights and sizes, and try to avoid placing elements that are the same height or same size beside each other. Spacing them out will help move your eyes around the area.
- Create some visual weight and balance. Balance a single large and striking object with groups of smaller objects to create some interest in the space. Symmetry might work, but asymmetry can be very effective at drawing the eye.
- Layering your items will add some depth to your mantel, helping you to create a more interesting visual experience.
Décor For Your Work Space
When it comes to running a business, there’s something that no one talks about – how to decorate! If you’re opening a business or even setting up a home office, you’ll want the space to speak to your customers and inspire your employees. Commercial construction services in Alberta are incredible at bringing your vision to life and creating an ideal space that works for you professionally. But you’ll have to remember the little decorative details, the ones that customers will remember. Take a look at Jennie’s Diner in Bonnyville: the restaurant wouldn’t be the iconic diner it’s become without that classic 1950s decor.
Whether you’re renovating an already built space to turn it into your shop, or you’re building a brand new location, you’ll want to have a serious discussion with your contractor. Every tiny detail can make an impact on representing your brand and your business. The colour of the walls matter, how you enter the business matters and even deciding whether or not to have a clock on the wall can make a difference.
Decorating is all about you. It’s a representation of your personality, your likes and dislikes. You’re not simply creation a ‘look’ or the opportunity to show that you’re up on this year’s trends: it’s your opportunity to express yourself to the rest of the world.